Monday, February 2, 2009

Valeninte's Day



Valentine's Day is just a few weeks away. I am trying to be okay with this. I don't know if any of you have the same problem I do with this day, but it is hard for me. Let me give you my background: Valentine's Day is my birthday. Yes, the second worst holiday for a birthday, with Christmas being the first. When I grew up everyone around me was getting flowers and candies and stuffed animals, etc., but me. Why? Because there was no one even remotely worth-it to date in the little hickville I grew up in. Not that I was better than the rest, I certainly wasn't, but honestly I didn't want to date someone who roped girls as they walked past them during lunch. So, away from this tangent, everyone was getting stuff but me. This was MY birthday, not theirs. I should have been getting the stuff, not them. So I revolted. I know, it was really selfish of me, but I was young. I hated the day and didn't want anything to do with it. I even took the day off work or skipped school when I was older just so I could do something for me. Now that I am married it is a little different but I find myself cringing when I hear that it is near. I can't take the day off anymore (my son won't feed himself or change his own diapers), so I am trying to get into the spirit with other measures. I have been spending the past few weeks making things to up-do my house. I made a cute pink and red banner, colorful crayon-heart mobile, etc. I think I am finally getting there. I think I can finally enjoy this year and welcome it with open arms. It only took 21 years (plus only a few more) to realize that the holiday is not only for me, but for all the ones I love. So I have dedicated it to making it great for my family. Through them I think it will turn out to be a wonderful day.

Does anyone else feel the same way I do? What do you do with this lovey holiday to make it special?

5 comments:

janae said...

Oh man! It really would stink to have Valentine's be your birthday!! I can definitely see your reasoning!

From the time I was a little girl I always looked forward to the time that I would have a boyfriend on Valentine's Day. But then from 16-22 it seemed like every January all the boys in my life would bottom out and I would end up alone and hating life. Since I've gotten married I've tried to make up for my lame-o experiences by making Valentines super fancy, special, and romantic. So now I love the holiday! I actually asked my babysitter in December for this upcoming Valentine's. Yeah, I'm super excited!

Cristi said...

Oooh - I like the background you chose. I haven't seen anyone else use this one yet and it's always fun to see them in "action" on someone's blog! Happy Valentine's Day and birthday!

Amy Lou said...

I have to agree with you. Valentin's Day has always been a sore spot with me. And now I'm married...but he isn't horribly romantic...he just doesn't think about stuff like that. I know he loves me...it just isn't him to do all the trinkets and flowers and candy and such. But...I never know what to get him either. And our Anniversary is the day after. What were we thinking?
Well Happy Birthday at any rate. Your hearts are so very cute.
Thank you so much for the awesome dinner. We finally got through all the dishes and have them clean. Ryan will bring them by.
Thanks for being such a great friend.

The Campbell's said...

I agree with you!!! My birthday is February 4th. Similar things have happened to me too. Either my birthday is remembered or Valentines day is remembered. I feel like a petty/greedy person for thinking it is about me. ( i still think it is about me.) Thank you though for showing the love for you family. Turning something sad around into something so enjoyable for the ones you hold so dear. I think I am going to have to start doing that.

The Campbell's said...

Ok what I meant to say was thank you for sharing the love you are giving to you family with me ( and all your faithful readers). It definitely has turned my sour look on things around and make me love my family even more by share these days with them.