Monday, October 6, 2008

Oh, Lost Summer



This morning I woke up and looked out my window to see the weather. To my utter disappointment I saw frosty dew on my car windows. I almost cried. I was trying to hold onto the Summer and warm days, playing tug-o-war with Fall, but I think it has finally won. In tribute to my lost summer days, I wrote a poem. Now, here is my disclaimer. I am, by no means, a poet. I am quite terrible, actually. So, if you decide to continue then let it be known that you were warned. This needs to be read in a lamentable manner.

The Lost Summer

Oh, lost Summer now gone away
How I so wanted you to stay
The crisp morning air
With children playing everywhere
Are now lost until a distant day.

Gone are the summer nights with stars so high
Twinkling in the warm and bright nights sky
The thunder showers
The sweet smelling flowers
And freshly made rhubarb pie.

Now here we are with frost on the ground
We look to the sky and don't hear a sound
The birds have flown away
The cold is here to stay
And my sad heart begins to pound.

I look forward to the day
When summer is here to stay
My garden will grow
The lawn I'll get to mow
And outside, until late, I can play.

4 comments:

Katie C said...

You are so a poet! I love it. Made me sad though...and want to take my kids out right now and play. It's actually a nice, crisp day today.

Reggs said...

oh I lament along with you! Loved your poem. Did you make it to the reunion? I didn't, I am a lame-o. I figure I can handle about one reunion a year.
Anyway, I am trying to think of something wonderful about the cold weather that doesn't include fattening desserts, hot chocolate, or colds that never go away.

JessiLeigh said...

Its still 85-90 in AZ... come on down!!! :)

Jonathan and Michelle said...

I am going to miss summer so much! I mostly am going to miss all of us just gathering outside and letting the kids play while we socialize!