Thursday, October 9, 2008

Arches National Park or bust!!




A little over a month ago I thought of a great plan to surprise Josh with a camping trip to Arches National Park. I have never been there and have always wanted to go. Plus, we needed to redeem our last camping trip (don't even ask). So, I told him to get Friday off and we'd leave Daerik behind with family to go to Arches for the weekend for some much needed alone time. I can't tell you how excited I have been. I have booked the site, bought a cooler, washed the sleeping bags, etc, etc. I have been itching at the seems for the past two weeks to go. The babysitter is ready, the car is ready, I am ready, Josh is ready......Daerik got sick today. 103'. Now, I am sad my child is sick, but he will be fine. Am I a bad mother to be upset that this trip I have been planning for over a month is now canceled? Not only that, since it was only today we canceled, we lost our deductible and had to pay a fee for canceling. That may not sound like a lot, but for us obsessive tightwads, even $1 is upsetting (not really, but really). Oh well, I guess it was for the better, I was feeling sick and the weather was supposed to be cold, rainy, and thundering (de-ja-vu from last trip?). I still think I would have had a good time. I guess I will just look to next year with fondness and schedule a trip as soon as the flowers pop up. I love camping, but I am not that avid a camper to go in the snow, so next year it is. Maybe I'll go buy some See's candies to make up for it (j/k).

6 comments:

janae said...

Are you a bad mother for being sad? NO. In fact, you are an amazing mother for canceling your trip! I would have gone anyway. A fever of 105* might have kept me back, but otherwise I would have kissed the kids and gone. So you're fabulous!

JessiLeigh said...

You do have a problem there, but I think youre solution sounds perfect! Chocolate fixes everything!!

Reggs said...

I think it was Daerik's way of preventing any possible future offspring. :)

Jonathan and Michelle said...

Those things always seem to happen to me too when I try to plan a surprise for Jonathan!

I am so sorry that you had to cancel your trip, you definitely deserve to spoil yourself to make up for it!

Jessica said...

I am really sad for you that you had to cancel it after all that work! Definitely get some chocolate or ice cream, or both really. It usually makes me feel better! (Right after the ultrasound that I had been dying waiting for turned out to be inconclusive, the first place we went was to get me some ice cream!)

Emily said...

We had an experience with not being able to go camping in Arches because of stupid Memorial Day weekend. If you plan spring trip next year make sure that it's not over that weekend!