Thursday, July 31, 2008

No laughing matter?





When I woke up today I had high hopes for a wonderful day. Well, it was quickly turning out not so much bad as it was busy. With running after Daerik, cooking, cleaning, etc. I didn't eat much this morning, other than maybe 5 bites of Daerik's leftover oatmeal and a few goldfish crackers.

I finally put Daerik down for a nap and for some odd reason was really tired and had no energy myself, so I laid down for 30 minutes. I didn't even think the reason I had no energy was because of my lack of food (I have hypoglycemia and need to eat every few hours). I fell asleep and filled that time with dreaming of being overly exhausted and having no energy to even lift a leg. Go figure, I can't even escape in my sleep. Well, after 1 1/2 hours (way too long) I peel myself from my mattress, feeling worse than before. I finally decide this is a lack of food thing and quickly shuffle myself and now awake Daerik downstairs to get some grub. It is 12:30, so perfect time for lunch. I plop Daerik down with a bottle so I can have three minutes to make a lunch. Quickly, an immaculate salad starts putting itself together in my head: lettuce, tomato, cucumber, chicken, corn, black beans, goldfish (I thought I'd try it out), etc., and my mouth starts to water. I make it and sit down to eat just when Daerik finishes his bottle. I take the first bite, yes, it was all that I had imagined. Daerik has learned how to climb and always wants to be on the chair with me when I am sitting down, so he sees me eating and starts climbing up. He makes it halfway up and see's my bowl but can't see what is in it. Up, comes his hand before I have time to react and slams down on the side, sending its contents flying into the air. As gravity would have it it falls down. Where, you ask? All over Daerik and me, of course, plus the floor, for what didn't land on us. In the split second that follows Daerik looks up at me with a confused look like, "what just happened mom?" and I see the thoughts running through my mind: "go figure!, oh no, my lunch!, I am so mad!, etc." Then I see Daerik with this pleading look on his face, a goldfish stuck in his hair, a black bean under his eye, lettuce stuck to his shirt, and chicken in his toes, and without warning my head falls back and a loud laugh escapes my lips. Needless to say, it was the laugh I needed to feel better (along with some more salad). I could have yelled and screamed, but I'm glad I didn't. We just picked up the sad remnants of my salad and got on with the day.

7 comments:

janae said...

I swear God makes our kids so cute and innocent just so that mom doesn't break down when things like that happen. I don't know how many times, in the midst of being stressed or sick, my kids have done something so ridiculous that I just laughed. It makes handling the situation so much easier! I'm glad it made you feel better. :) Goldfish in salad actually sounds pretty good, I just may try that one out!

Katie C said...

I'm glad that you got the laugh that you needed. Sounds like you need to eat and sleep more. No problem, huh?

Cristi said...

You are an angel, do you know that? Thank you for the comments on my blog.

Amy Lou said...

That is funny! You are better than I though...I probably would have been mad.
It is neat though that in times of needing a good laugh or a pick me up....our kids know just what to do!

Jonathan and Michelle said...

That made me hungry just reading about your salad! I am so happy that our children have those sweet innocent faces or I don't know how we would get through the things we do! You're awesome!

Ms. Oustad said...

I was happy to see that you commented on my new blog spot. I have some work to do as you can see. It is a work in progress. Your son is so cute. I have not seen you guys in such a long time. Miss you!

Unknown said...

Being a Mom is the hardest job you will ever have. Keeping a sense of humor does help us get through the day. I wish I would have laughed more at my kids when they were growing up than yelling at them. Laughing is much better than getting mad, especially with that cute little Daerik face looking up at you.