I have gotten up close and personal with a hospital bed this week. Why? Well, apparently, after a days worth of blood testing, leg ultrasound, and later a CT scan, I found out that I have a pulmonary embolism. What is that, you ask? A blood clot in my lungs. But what the CT scan found out was that there was not just one, but a few. WHAT!? I have a few blood clots in my lung? No wonder my chest hurt so bad I could not breath, but what? Apparently, being pregnant (oh, yeah, I was going to post something cute and funny about that until this happened--I will still post something about it later when I'm not so tired) makes you more likely to get a blood clot, and something else they later found in my blood, which makes me even more susceptible. So, I got to stay in the hospital for two days and two nights. I kept feeling like I was going to go home with a baby because the only other time I have been admitted to the hospital was when I had Daerik. But really all I got to go home with was a large bill and shots that I have to give myself twice a day for a year. Aren't you excited for me? I gave myself a shot today for the first time ever! I thought I was going to wimp out and not be able to do it, but I surprised myself and did it really well. Now, I am usually fine with getting shots and even watch sometimes, but the thought of giving myself shots freaked me out. It turned out not to be too bad after all. Heck, I'll be a pro by the time I'm done with this!I still can't believe that this has happened and how close I came to....well, some other fate. It doesn't seem real. But I am really glad to have technology and hospitals and knowledge that can help people. I am grateful that we caught it in time and that I still have time to be with my family. It will affect the rest of my life, (they found I have a thing that makes my blood clot more than others), and will affect the rest of my pregnancies (I'll have to do the shots every pregnancy), but I am really happy that I feel better, for the most part, and am still here. We're hoping the baby is going to be all right, with all the shots and the CT scan, there are some very hight possibilities of serious complications, but we didn't have a choice. We'll keep you updated when we find out how it all affected our little one growing. We are praying and hoping that things will turn out all right.
Thank you for all your prayers, we really feel them working. We have had a lot of support from friends in our area, which has helped a lot too. It is amazing how much people will get together and help when someone is in need. It is not usually me that is in need, so this is new to me, but it feels good that people care. Thank you.
On a cool side note, I stayed 5 rooms down from where Josh's grandmother, Nan, stayed when she fell up the stairs last month. I thought of her often when I was there.







5 comments:
WOW - scary stuff. Glad you are doing okay. What were your symptoms before going to the hospital? I couldn't imagine giving myself shots everyday - hope it gets easier for you. Congrats on the pregnancy. How far along are you? Thanks for the update - take care!
Rebecca- wow... That is so rotten about the blood clots. 2 shots a day? Oh man, you will be an expert. Congratulations about being pregnant though! I bet your family is so excited. I hope you do a post about it soon and tell us how far along you are!
Rebecca, we are so glad that everything is ok....sorry it had to happen and sorry about the shots, though. We are praying for you and baby! It was wonderful to hang out with you guys in Idaho. :)
Oh Rebecca I am sorry about the blood clots. I had multiple PE's too and did the whole heprin shots 2x per day for my pregnancy with John and then 8 wks after. You get used to the shots and bruising fast. After Catie was born was when I found out I had a blood clotting disorder. You will be great! Congrats on your soon to be new addition!!! We are excited for you!
I'm glad you are ok. I know daily shots...and it is no fun...but you do get used to it and it is far more worth it than the alternative. It's amazing what you can do when there are no other choices...you find an inner strength. Congrats again on your new little one.
Post a Comment