Thursday, September 10, 2009

This is not the Spiderman I want in my garden

I went out to my garden this evening to pick some delish, red, juicy cherry tomatoes. You know, the ones that when you pop them into your mouth and bite down an explosion sends shrapnel's of juicy and sweet happiness into the far recesses of your mouth and makes your taste-buds scream out in wonderful ecstasy? I know, I know, probably a little over the top, but you get my jist. The point of this story is that I went out happy to be able to pick some of these sweet morsels and instead find my hand a hairbreadths away from sweeping up a massive spiderweb. I was noticing that there were an odd amount of webs ducking in and out of the tomatoes leaves, which was interesting. So, you can imagine how I felt when I almost took down the house (mystery spiders dinner included) of an unknown spider. It didn't take too long to find the source of the web. To my horror, on a leaf of a stalk of corn, hovering above my wonderful cherry tomato plant, was the suspect. Now, some of you know my history with spiders, but in order to spare your minds and the gory details I will not state them now. Those stories are better left said around a campsite fire mingled with ghost stories. Or maybe someday I'll put it on film and it can go down in history with Bees and Killer Ants. Whatever, I wasn't happy to find this nasty little (really, it is not that little) spider in my garden! I am still feeling creepy crawlies all over and itching like crazy. It'll be a massively long shower for me tonight.

I know this is not a very good picture, but this is the closest I would even dare get. Does anyone know what this is? I know that would be woosy (sp?) of me if it is harmless, but I'd still rather it be harmless than poisonous. Oh, I can't even look at the picture.

Now that you know my strict aversion to spiders, what do you try to avoid at all costs? What do you have a huge fear of? And please, I really do want to know what this is, so if you know I'd welcome the name, not the spider, but the name.

3 comments:

Amy Lou said...

that is disturbing

Jessica said...

Oh that is so gross. We have tons of bugs in our garden and I refused this year to pick any of our ears of corn because they are usually completely full of earwigs and such. I waited for Stan to do it. Was your garden taken over by grasshoppers this year like ours? I don't know if I have heard your spider story or not, I can't remember if you told me. But, I did remember your extreme dislike of them for one reason or another!

janae said...

So I'm late but I just had to so that that thing so is gross. I hate, hate, HATE spiders. When we moved out we found a black widow in the garage and it scared the bejeebees out of me (granted it had set up shop about 6 inches from the garage door, and was no where near the inside of the house, but still). Yeah, good luck with that one. I'm feeling rather grateful I don't have to take care of my own yard right now. :)