Friday, September 18, 2009

My Couches Double Life

I went to bed late last night. Well, I go to bed late every night. It is a sickness I have that I just can't get over. Today after putting D. down for a nap I went downstairs to get some things done. Suddenly, I spotted it, the "golden couch". It looked so appetizing, so comfortable, so seductive. I don't do this much, but I gave in. It was then that I realized that my couch is not just a couch but has a double life. It is also a monster, with a big mouth. I thought I'd just lay down for a quick nap, not really falling asleep, but before I knew it I was devoured. My eyes were barely shut before I started dreaming and being entertained by that other world in my mind. Off in that other world I started thinking that it had been a long time since I was there and needed to get back, but I couldn't. Hard as I tried I just could not escape the gaping jaws of my couch. I woke but couldn't open my eyes and was quickly dragged down again to the dreams of slumber. Over and over I tried but to no avail. Time passed and I was fighting so hard, but what am I to an eight foot couch? I failed. I knew I needed to get up, D. would be up soon as well, so I mustered all of my strength and even went into my reserves and attacked that couch with all I had. Like lead weights I finally lifted my arm. It seemed to weight hundred pounds by itself. It lifted and plopped over the side. One arm down, the rest of my body to go. I think it took 15 minutes just to get off that couch, but I did. I stood and still wasn't clear in the head, so I dragged my body to the only cure that I have found for a monster couch and a too long nap, a green Otter Pop. I cut it open and welcomed the cold liquid into my tired body feeling the healing powers of wakefullness seep into my pores.

I won. I fought valiantly, and won. It may have taken two hours, but I won. Tomorrow, I will think again before succumbing to the temptatious "golden couch".

1 comment:

Reggs said...

This made me laugh out loud! We had a couch similar to your "golden couch". It was more comfortable than the bed! I would watch a movie at night and then wake up at 3 a.m. Horrible...but I know EXACTLY what you mean by being sucked in...
I miss that couch.